Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Diapers.

Yup, diapers. I have only ever used disposable diapers on my kids, and was curious about cloth diapering. My husband wasn't only not curious, but adamantly against the idea of cloth diapers. Mostly because of the whole deal with cleaning off poo (I didn't know previously, but you are supposed to flush the poo with disposable diapers as well. In some states it is illegal to throw it in the garbage). Since I was curious I looked into it, and found out that there is a lot to cloth diapering that I wasn't aware of. I didn't realize just how cheaply it could be done, or how convenient cloth diapers are now days, nor was I aware of how friggin' cute they are!

Research is always a dangerous thing for me, lol I ended up being quite interested in trying cloth diapering after watching numerous videos on YouTube and looking at many forum sites and cloth diaper website. It became something that I was almost desperate to at least try. I think my husband was a little freaked out by my interest in it, but after we talked about it some, he is willing to give it a try. He was very interested in how cheaply we could get started, and the camo print diapers are of course very cute, but what got to him the most was the boast that cloth diapers leak and blowout much less often than disposables. Dealing with a blowout diaper is never fun, so eliminating or greatly reducing the number of them would be great.

I am excited that we are going to try cloth diapers for this baby. After embarrassingly long hours of research, I decided that prefolds and covers would be the best and cheapest route. Then I found the SunBaby website, which has super cheap pocket diapers which many moms rave about. With a budget of $200, we could get all the diapers needed from birth to potty training. $200 is about what we would spend on disposables in just 4 months. If I buy less and cheap though, I could get started for $100. I hope to do a mix of prefolds and covers and pocket diapers.

There are lots of fun things involved with cloth diapering. I already have plans of attempting to make my own cloth wipes (me and sewing don't get a long so well, but I want to try making wipes anyway. I figure how badly could I really screw up sewing two pieces of cloth together?). I also want to make baby leggings with super fun stripped sock yarn, and knit up a few wool soakers. That is just the cloth diapering related stuff. I have a whole stack of patterns printed out for knitted baby stuff that I want to make, budget allowing of course.

3 comments:

  1. Have you checked out wool soakers? You can knit or crochet them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I have a few patterns even! I hadn't originally thought of using wool soakers, but it is something I could make and that draws me to at least want to try it out. Not sure about day time use yet, but I definitely want to try wool soakers for overnight use. Can't ever have too many knit and crochet things for babies, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really cute on babies. I made one for my little guy. I never got really into them but I wanted to, I just ran out of time.

    ReplyDelete