Friday, August 24, 2012

Homemade Mayo is awesome!

I am not done with my antibiotics, but I feel 100% recovered from my recent UTI (still taking the antibiotics of course!). Since I am feeling better and going crazy waiting for AF to show up, I have been --cooking.-- I don't really consider making mayo to be cooking, but whatever, close enough!

I had just got that new food processor, and wanted to put it to the test. I had success shredding cucumber, but bell peppers and lettuce turned to mush (not surprised the lettuce did, but rather weird that the peppers didn't shred well). I haven't sliced anything with it yet, and I haven't --riced-- any cauliflower either. I did try making flax meal in it, but it didn't work very well. I ended up having to transfer the flax seeds to the Ninja and finish it in that. So I still don't have a very good way to mill the flax seeds. I was looking at the Cuisinart mini chopper/grinder online, and it looks like it would work perfectly. It costs around $39 which is $5 more than I paid for the full sized processor. It would be nice to try, but honestly I don't think it would be worth it (even if it is cute and comes in many fun colors!).

I did have pretty good success making mayonnaise in the food processor. I made a double batch, and the blades were having a hard time mixing the few ingredients in the beginning. I had to stop and scrape the eggs back to the blades repeatedly until I added at least 3/4 cup oil. After it was full enough to mix things well, the process went much easier. It whipped up the mayo pretty well and it tasted pretty good. I was a little disappointed it didn't do better in the beginning, but I will keep using it for making mayo anyway. I made a 2nd batch using the ninja for curiosities sake, and it didn't work very well. I think the ninja is actually too fast, and I added the oil a little too quickly. It curdled and I had to start over in a separate bowl to fix it.

Why did I make so much mayonnaise? To make Ranch Dressing of course! You can't find soy-free mayo in the store, and you can't find soy-free ranch either (that we have seen anyway). My husband managed to find ranch mix that was soy and msg free, hooray! Half the package used up 2 cups of mayo and 2 cups of buttermilk, but even so it is less than 2 carbs per serving. It tastes pretty good too. The only problem is that we have 4 cups of ranch in the fridge! lol

The second batch of mayo I made (the one that the Ninja and I butchered) I added a teaspoon of vinegar too. I wanted to add a little more vinegar, but my husband said it was perfect with just one teaspoon. He said that it is between mayo and miracle whip, and he likes it better than either of those. I would say that is a mayo making success! I used extra light olive oil, and the flavor is subtle and nice. It does look strange in the ketchup bottle in the fridge though, lol

Tonight I plan to make some baked goods. We shop at Sam's Club a lot and keep finding things there that are a lot cheaper than at the grocery store. My husband's last find was Boursin. Two tubs were about $1 more than just one tub in the grocery store. Needless to say, he bought some. Between all the cheese spread and the mayo, I need to make crackers and buns tonight! I will make at least a double batch of almond thins. Making crackers is a great thing to do while frustrated or anxious. Smashing those little globs of dough is quite satisfying! I will make at least two batches of flax buns (6 in a batch). My husband also bought hamburger patties and lunch meat at Sam's Club, so we need some bread! Flax and almonds are both things that are recommended for endo, too bad the cheese is against the rules :( I am limiting my dairy consumption for now, and will eliminate it completely if I feel I need to after we have a third baby. For now I am going to enjoy a little cheese here and there :)

Quick update on TTC. I am on CD#21 today, which puts me exactly at one week until AF is expected. I have had a few progesterone symptoms, mostly headaches, and I've been doing good at ignoring them. Today I think I may have felt implantation. Around late morning I felt a sharp stabbing cramp in my lower right abdomen. It didn't last more then five minutes, but was quite painful. I am hoping it was implantation cramping and not my body going haywire. I am a bit concerned that the pain was on the right side of my lower abdomen and not centrally located. Since I had one ectopic, I am pretty scared of having another one. I have noticed that I am especially bloated and uncomfortable today, but don't really think that is related.

I should wait until the 31st to test, but I know I won't last that long. I've already decided to do the first test this Sunday, then every other day after that until I get a positive or AF. A lot of women get really bummed out when testing and getting BFNs, but I like having the date to focus on. I tend to not drive myself so crazy if I know there will be another test soon. Thank goodness I am using cheap tests! I imagine I will stop this frequent testing if we go several months without conceiving, but for now we are trying to stay positive and hopeful that it will happen soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment