Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beef, Bacon, and Pepper Skillet Dinner Recipe.

I made something this week that tasted really good, so heck, why not post it on my blog!

This Beef, Bacon, and Pepper skillet diner is easy to make, has few ingredients but has a nice sweet and salty flavor with yummy bacon, and best of all, it's low-carb!

Ingredients:

3 large bell peppers, chopped or sliced as prefered
4 green onions, chopped
1 lb ground beef, fully cooked
6 strips of bacon
1/4 cup soy sauce, adjust to preference
Ground pepper to taste

In a large skillet cook the bacon until crispy, then set aside on a plate or paper towel to cool. Add the peppers to the hot bacon grease in the skillet, and stirring frequently, cook at medium or medium-low heat until starting to become tender. Add the Soy Sauce, then stir in the beef. Turn heat down to low and continue to cook until beef has soaked up most of the liquids in the skillet. Add the green onions then crumple or chop the bacon and add it. Add ground pepper as desired, and let the dish simmer for a couple minutes to cook the green onion and for the juices to really marry together well.

Entire dish is approximately 23 carbs, with a generous 1/4 of that being a large bowl-full and only 5.75 carbs.


When I made this I used a cast-iron skillet which is well seasoned and used primarily for cooking breakfast meats (like bacon, lol). My beef was actually left over burger patties (80% lean) from the previous day that I chopped up. Any color of bell pepper works just as well as any other, but the red, orange, and yellow looked very pretty and colorful! I am trying to use more salt in cooking because my husband keeps forgetting to drink broth, adding the soy sauce sounds weird and I wouldn't have added it otherwise, but it made the flavor really pop and complemented the bacon and peppers very well. I used about 1/4 of a cup, but it is always a good idea to start low, then add more if needed.

My husband loved this dish, as did my oldest daughter and myself. The only one who didn't like it is my 4 year old, but she turns her nose up at nearly everything that isn't a chicken nugget or pizza, so that doesn't mean much, lol This is definitely something I'll be making again soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment