Thursday, July 7, 2011

Coconut oil update.

I had this strange idea that using coconut oil to deep condition my hair would work out well...not sure why I held that odd belief, but whatever. I used it like I stated, and let it set for pretty exact to 60 minutes. I rinsed my hair for several minutes, towel dried and let it air dry. I am not kidding, it looked (and felt, eww) like I had took a dip in an oil spill. My hair was very greasy feeling. I washed my hair with shampoo, no conditioner, and let it air dry again. My hair was less oily, but still pretty darn oily. That was the extent of my trying yesterday and I honestly was just sick of washing my hair.

Today I washed my hair without the use of conditioner again, and my hair is finally relatively free of greasy looking strands. I am thinking that I should have used less coconut oil, and probably left it in less than the recommend 60 minutes. I didn't not expect it to be so difficult to get out of my hair.

The big question is did it make a difference? Sure, somewhat. My hair looks shinier, feels softer, and weirdly enough has more volume, but it did nothing for the fly-aways and friz once I got the excess greasiness gone. Is the benefit worth the effort? Not if it is this difficult to rinse out every time. I will try again in a week or so, and try using less and leaving it in for 40 minutes instead of 60.

Speaking of hair frizz, is there any product that takes the frizz and fly-aways down to where they belong? I have fought with my fine hair for years now. I have tried lots of different "tamer" and anti-frizz serums, shampoos and conditioners, and mayo and raw egg (which did help, but was a bit beyond my threshold for grossness) but the only thing that really helps is to use a flat iron, and even that is short lived. I avoid using hot tools in general, so I will continue to experiment with products. I am really hoping that taking the Biotin will help here in a couple weeks (I have taken it faithfully thus far).

A bit of an update about my diet and weight this week. Something fruity is going on with my weight. The scale (yes I've been weighing myself when I know I should wait until Sunday) says I am 2.5 lbs heavier yesterday, and 2 lbs heavier today. What the heck! I am pretty sure it isn't water weight or bloating, as that just doesn't seem to be an issue when eating low-carb. I haven't eaten anything weird really, so I'm guessing it is the fake sugar.

Between my husband and myself, we drank two 2 Liter bottles of Diet Pepsi the first part of this week. I use my magic bullet blender to turn half a carton (little paper can?) of chocolate Atkins shake, a bit of cream, water, instant coffee, and DaVinci Sugar free syrup to make a blended mocha drink. I have two of those a day instead of drinking any hot coffee and use them as snacks or part of breakfast (along with eggs and sometimes bacon). There was the ice cream experiment that didn't go so great, that used a lot of cream (GOOD FAT!!) and rather large amounts splenda/sugar free syrup. I don't think it was the large-ish amount of cream, since eating a whole crust-less cheesecake (2 packages of cream cheese) didn't effect my weight loss in the past (yes, you read that right, I ate a whole cheesecake by myself. It's not so bad though because I made it, it was very low carb, and I was still struggling to get over my carb cravings, so I was oftly weak at the time, lol).

I don't expect to lose any weight this Sunday because of this. If I am lucky I will be at the same weight I was last weigh-in. I am still working on cutting back my splenda usage. I only had one blended drink today, and used less syrup than usual. We are out of cream right now, so it won't be hard cutting back on that just in case that did have some effect on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment