Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rewards, and an oily head.

Rewards first, then I'll explain the oily-head bit ;)

Since I now weigh under 220 lbs, I got myself a reward. I decided against getting a beauty product and instead bought Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" for my Kindle. I really enjoyed reading the sample and loathed not having the spare money to purchase it previously. So excited that I was finally able to get it! I am about 50 pages into it so far and am loving it. I'll admit sometimes I have to read a paragraph twice to make sure I understand it, but really once you get past the medical terminology it isn't so difficult to read or understand.

I said rewards not reward, and perhaps the second item is more of a gift and not truly a reward, but it was something I had wanted as a reward. When shopping, my husband called to ask if there was anything I wanted. I wanted a box of Breyers low-carb ice cream bars, but they were sold out :( So instead he bought a bottle of Sally Hansen Insti-Dri for me. That was nice of him, and it allowed me to finally do my severely past-due manicure. Of course I will be in need of a new bottle of white if I plan on doing any french tips, lol I am always out of something!

A note on the ice cream; digging around on the internet lead me to discover such a thing as ice cream with ZERO carbs! (though it is a good idea to count sugar substitutes as 1 gram per serving, though I don't) Now I would have to make it myself, but basically you just use heavy cream, Splenda (or DaVinci no sugar flavored Syrups, which are awesome! Sam's Club has them for under $5 a bottle!) and some sort of flavoring (unless of course you use flavored syrup). Cocoa can be added to make chocolate, sugar free preserves, nuts, fruit, pretty much anything you want. I don't have an ice cream maker, so decided to try the "Ziploc method" which sounds easy, but I didn't get mine to turn out solid enough. Ziploc method is this: put the ingredients in a sandwich Ziploc bag, then put that bag into a gallon sized bag and fill it with ice. After shaking said bag for 5 or so minutes you should have ice cream. Mine tasted really great, but was more of a cross between soft serve and a milk shake. I had plenty of ice and did everything supposedly correctly, but it still didn't turn out quite right. I would really like to invest in an ice cream maker now though!

I will explain the oily head thing now. I am out of Mane 'N Tale conditioner, and while the Aussie Sydney Smooth is okay, it just doesn't compare. I was trying to think of something I could use instead, and thought of that jar of coconut oil sitting in my pantry. Now I really love coconut oil and the flavor it gives to vegetables when cooked in the cast iron, but I just haven't been using it much lately. It is warm enough that the contents of the jar are mostly melted, and we've had it awhile so I figured I may as well try it on my hair! There are directions on the jar for using it this way, so I just followed those. After shampooing and rinsing your hair you are supposed to towel dry until slightly damp. Work the coconut oil in your hands to melt it (mine was already melted, so I skipped this step) then work in into your hair. You are supposed to cover with a plastic shower cap and leave it set for an hour. I've got about 30 minutes left until I rinse it out. Hopefully this helps some, and if not it wasn't like a wasted anything trying it out. I will update when my hair is all done and dry.

1 comment:

  1. My research has suggested that I didn't have enough salt in with the ice. I guess it causes the ice to be much colder. I don't have any cream right now or I would try it again. I'll make a new post about it if I ever do get ice cream to turn out like it is supposed to.

    ReplyDelete