Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Diet change!

I am no longer doing the hHCG diet. Almost immediately after my last post I got to talk to my husband about his exercising goals, and we decided to start exercising together the 2nd of April. Since that didn't give me much time to prepare I stopped taking the hHCG pellets and switched to Atkins Induction.

Today is my second day of low-carbing it, and I feel a sense of relief. I don't want to make it sound like the HCG diet is bad, because it really is a lot better than I was expecting it to be, but my mood was suffering pretty badly towards the end. I already feel a tiny bit better emotionally, but that is most likely due to the planning part and not the actual dietary part. I did the HCG Protocol for 30 days, and when I can get my husband into taking my "after" photo, I will post my totals.

The exercise part of our lifestyle change is scary, intimidating, and just flat daunting. There is only one workout my husband is interested in doing, and that is P90X. P90X is a Beach Body workout series by Tony Horton, and if you've ever stayed up late watching tv during the dreaded infomercial hours you probably know what it is. If you go to bed at a decent time though, and are clueless what P90X is, I'll explain a touch. P90X stands for Power 90 Extreme. The Power 90 series was a pretty intense workout (I've never actually done it) and this is the extreme version that is supposed to completely transform your body in 90 days. The workouts are about 60 minutes each with an additional 15 minute ab routine every other day. The workouts are intense and pretty difficult, and use muscle confusion to keep you from plateauing. I have done this workout before, but only for a couple weeks. There were other things that got in the way and I just wasn't able to find the time to workout. My husband has done the workout previously as well, and you really do start seeing results very quickly (he had a noticeable size increase and toning on his biceps in only one week).

This time we made a schedule with Google Calendar and made time every morning for the workout. I am not a morning person at all, and am not really looking forward to getting up so early. On days were my husband works early, we will be getting up just after 4 am so he has time to get ready for work and eat breakfast after the workout. Yes, I will be getting up at 4 in the morning, and I am dreading it. This is going to be such a hard change to make, but I think the pay off will be worth it. I have been impressed with Google Calendar (never really used it before). My husband and I both have separate calendars, but we share them. I can see and make changes to his calendar (handy, since he doesn't really have time for doing this kind of thing) and can even print them off (this is awesome for school purposes as it makes it easily available and there is room for jotting down quick notes). We can both have access to the calendars on our phones and have alerts and reminders set up. I only wish the color coding showed up on the phone app, seeing as how I went to the trouble to color code everything, lol

The plan is for working out to be a "forever" lifestyle change, and not just a short term thing. Previously we have worked out in our living room space, but I am not going to put up with putting away my husband's weights for the next several years. Our solution is to make a dedicated space for working out in our basement. There is some work involved in this, but it should be pretty cheap to do (hopefully we will only need to buy some mats for the floor). There is some rearranging and sorting to do mostly. We have an old tube tv down there, and there should be enough room to set up a pull-up bar and have the weights out and ready to use. This has been unusable space for us so far, since the basement isn't finished and the stairs aren't very kid friendly. It will be nice to finally have a use for the space before it gets finished (some day we really are going to finish it, though it isn't that high on the priority list at the moment). I am excited about getting the space ready for working out.

In other news, the pencil sharpener comes today! Hooray! lol Probably not a big deal for most people, but as a homeschooling mom who has been manually sharpening pencils for the past 5 days, it is a huge deal, lol I recently gave my box of approximately 100 colored pencils to my children, and while sharpening them my old sharpener quit. This also happened to be shortly after buying a bunch of new coloring books from the dollar store...right before the weekend. I am so tired of manually sharpening pencils and I was actually starting to get a blister! (see, this is beauty related ;p). Anyway, the new sharpener is an X-ACTO ProX commercial grade sharpener, and it had better not poo out on me in the middle of sharpening 100 colored pencils! It was a bit of an investment ( $55) so I expect it to last forever during heavy school use.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited about your pencil sharpener lol. It sounds like an excellent investment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an awesome pencil sharpener! I had fun sharpening all our pencils yesterday. It automatically stops when the pencil has a perfect point, so children are unable to grind a pencil down to nothing; best feature ever!

    ReplyDelete